Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir

On woensdag, mei 14, 2003, at 14:52 Europe/Amsterdam, Michael H. Lambert wrote:

Second, why use fifth hand information if a host can simply
send some packets and see if they make it through? That's much more
effective and light-weight at the expense of some only a few otherwise
unnecessary end-to-end packets. Routing protocols seldom know which paths
are good. They barely know how to avoid the very bad and non-functioning
ones.

Just because the path is valid (and perhaps "good" by a reasonable set of metrics) does not mean that it is even near-optimal. A host sending a few packets to check a path will have no idea of the bandwidth along the path, for example.
Note that in the commodity internet the bandwidth of a path is a non-issue: ISP connections are almost always of a much higher bandwidth than the part between the ISP edge and the end-host.

I agree that a few packets isn't enough to determine the bandwidth of a path but with a higher number of packets this shouldn't be much of a problem. But in these cases a partial routing table in the host would be ok, I guess.

Another approach is to use diffserv to signal packets should take the high-bandwidth path.

The solutions should be end to end that complex functionality must
be performed only on hosts.

I agree in principle. However, if we can give people the option to
offload this to a middlebox if they so desire, that's a plus.

I think the right approach is to allow the functionality to be implemented hierarchically.
What does that mean?

I think the right way to think about this is that whatever device is responsible for making decisions about dynamic source address selection can usually benefit from hints from the routing protocols.
I'm not saying there are no benefits, just that the downsides are much bigger and that it would be unacceptable to mandate having a routing table in each host.

In fact, we need to go even further and implement functionality in
neighbor discovery to enable the use of jumboframes between two hosts
that support them even though other hosts on the same subnet may not.

Exactly, although probably not important for small flows (< 100 Mb/s).
I don't think setting the MTU based on the flow speed is useful: either you can do it so you do it or you can't so you don't. But I agree there isn't much point in having jumboframes in 10 or 100 Mbps equipment and it seems vendors feel the same way because I have yet to encounter a < 1000 Mbps ethernet NIC that supports them.