Re: Agenda for Vienna

On donderdag, mei 15, 2003, at 00:56 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:

I'd like to take this opportunity to again ask that we put aside
our petty and trivial differences, the implementation foibles
and our particular pet proposals (mine included).  Instead
we should take this time to sit down and have a collaborative
architectural discussion.
It's not always easy to see where architecture ends and interior decorating begins.

Some notions that seem relatively undisputed:

- we separate the identifier and locator functions so we can have multiple locators and still have a single identifier
- IP in transit works with locators, everything above the IP layer with the identifier

This leads to the following questions:

- what should identifiers look like?
- assuming applications use identifiers, how do we know which locators go with a certain identifier?
- when receiving packets, how do we know (= better than take her word for it) the correspondent's identifier?

Then there is the address selection problem. We know that the current "pick one and die if it doesn't work" approach is no good so we have to come up with something better.

The draft I wrote on sunday uses a minimalist approach to answer all these questions (well except the source address selection thing). It would be good to have one or more different sets of answers written up in enough detail to be able to determine which approach is preferable. Waiting for Vienna and trying to do it there in two hours isn't going to work well IMO.