Re: Minutes / Notes

On Friday, Jul 18, 2003, at 04:12 Canada/Eastern, Pekka Savola wrote:

ISPs' networks don't crash every other day (if they do, change the ISPs;
we just can't design protocols to work around broken operational
practices: that's going to fail, no matter what). Might happen a couple
of times during the year, at most, but I'm not convinced that's
necessarily a huge problem.
This isn't about ISPs' networks "crashing" -- it's about transient changes in routing topology, which *do* happen with monotonous regularity (circuits fail, or take errors and have to be shut down; upstream providers fat-finger routing policy and stopping routes from propagating, etc). Also remember that the effects of a re-homing event can be felt several levels down; if your path to the DFZ is through three intermediate ASes, then you're three-times as likely to feel the impact of a re-homing event if the multihoming architecture presents an impact to be felt. In some countries, *all* the ISPs are two or three ASes away from the core.

The fact that the perception today is that "ISP networks don't crash every other day" says more about the functionality of current multi-homing practices than it does about the stability of the underlying infrastructure.

Joe