Re: Fwd: Minutes / Notes

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Well, this is one of the many "shoulds" in our agreed list
> of goals. Whether we can achieve this "should" simultaneously
> with enough of the others is very much an open question
> in my mind, and it's one of the reasons why we may end up
> with more than one solution. In some scenarios, this may
> be a dominant goal; in other scenarios, it may be unimportant.

I agree that handling broken connections is useful.

However, I also think that one must apply some reason here.  For example,
if you have have tunnels from two access routers to two ISP's ("site exit
routers approach"), I don't think you have to care about connection
survivability that much.

ISPs' networks don't crash every other day (if they do, change the ISPs;
we just can't design protocols to work around broken operational
practices: that's going to fail, no matter what).  Might happen a couple
of times during the year, at most, but I'm not convinced that's
necessarily a huge problem.