Re: Minutes / Notes

On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 11:42 Europe/Amsterdam, Tim Chown wrote:

But there is no automatic way to get DNS resolver info in IPv6.

In all proposals to date, somewhere something needs to be configured,
be it in a DHCPv6 (Lite) server, in a router sending the RAs, by setting
up site local routing (though that seems dead :) or by Masataka's method
(where the routing entry is configured).
If you think about it, having to find an address for a server that helps you find addresses is somehwat bizarre... I think it makes much more sense to hardcode these addresses in the OS (should be possible to override by the administrator of course). This goes both for the root servers which of course need regular address space and for on-site resolvers which then need site local addresses. So I guess we have a good use for site local addresses after all.