Re: Minutes / Notes

Iljitsch;

> > But there is no automatic way to get DNS resolver info in IPv6.
>
> > In all proposals to date, somewhere something needs to be configured,
> > be it in a DHCPv6 (Lite) server, in a router sending the RAs, by
> > setting
> > up site local routing (though that seems dead :) or by Masataka's
> > method
> > (where the routing entry is configured).
>
> If you think about it, having to find an address for a server that
> helps you find addresses is somehwat bizarre...

Not so much.

It becomes really bizarre, when people start requesting
autoconfiguration of a lot more than that such as DNS dynamic
update which naturally requires configured shared secret.

> I think it makes much
> more sense to hardcode these addresses in the OS (should be possible to
> override by the administrator of course).

FYI, that's my proposal to appear as draft-ohta-preconfigured-dns-00.txt,
though you misunderstand the important detail.

> This goes both for the root
> servers which of course need regular address space

You should be more aggressive for root servers, as I described
in a separated ID.

> and for on-site resolvers which then need site local addresses.
> So I guess we have a
> good use for site local addresses after all.

No, scoped addresses make the proposal poor.

							Masataka Ohta