Re: Security requirements for identification

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 16:18, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> Dear Juan,
>
> I'm also a little confused by the discussion, but I had assumed that
> we had a service name and were using DNS SRV records, which also
> include port numbers, etc. Not sure how a computer knows
> www.google.com is HTTP - or how travel.yahoo.com is also HTTP, if
> you're keying off the name...

Uh I didn't realize of the existence of DNS SRV records... they
might be talking about that.

I was thinking about human-machine
interaction which is what most users daily do with computers, i. e,
they open IExplore, they usually type a name and everything ends up well...
IExplore knows the service because it reads the URL. IMO applications
know in advance the service that has to be used (service = port),
so they only need to find the "remote end-point" to start the communication
with. Not 100% of the applications behave like this, I know, but what I
wanted to note is that the DNS is used mainly for identification/location
purposes, it is *not* a service lookup....

Anyway, I think this talk  is to be "off topic" in this thread. What I really
would like to know is what they REALLY meant, cause I'm not understanding
a thing (lol)

Cheers ^--^

--
JFRH