Re: RIR bashing, was: Routing table size?

On zondag, okt 12, 2003, at 13:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Ray Plzak wrote:

I vote we fire the RIRs as soon as v4 is obsolete because they just
don't get it. (And they're costing the community way too much
money to boot.)

You should start by firing yourself, because if you are not actively
involved in the policy process then you have only yourself to blame for
the policies as they exist.  Become involved.

Hm, yes, firing myself would work out well as being involved in the entire I* family is a full time job in itself.

Or maybe people can learn to take constructive criticism (which I agree not all of what I said was) to heart rather than play procedural games.

Giving out /32s ONLY in IPv6 and /20s mostly in IPv4 isn't a good policy. Sometimes people need to be globally visible without the need for such a large block, and the largest ISPs burn through them fast enough to warrant giving them much larger blocks.