Re: Terminology [Re: Some Comments on ID/Loc Separation Proposals]

Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> > My problem with this is that i fail to see differences between some of
> > the
> > terms that are being defined...
> > For instance stack, endpoint perhaps virtual host...
> >
> > I mean, is there a difference between this two, if so, do we need them
> > both
> > for the multi6 discussion? or we can just pick one?
> >
> > SO i agree we should define as much terms a we feel we need, but we
> > shouldn't define more that we need, at least we should be able to
> > precisely
> > describe the difference between the defined terms
>
> I agree with Iljitsch remark that we should focus on the solutions,
> rather than the terminology. At the same time, when there are
> ambiguities that makes us go into spin for a week, I think we do gain
> from having a clear set of terms. Which ones we need and don't need
> will very much depend on which solutions we are looking at. I didn't
> mean to cast the proposal in stone. It was meant as an example. But I
> do think that we need an authoritative list of terminology. But we
> could define that as we go along and needs arises.

Agreed. As we've seen, attempts to define "end point" go into a rathole.
But in practical terms it *does* matter whether we are talking about
multihoming affecting one physical interface, a set of interfaces on
one machine, a set of interfaces on a cluster of machines, or something
else.

   Brian