Re: Terminology [Re: Some Comments on ID/Loc Separation Proposals]

Ohta-san,

In practical terms it matters very much. If the end point is distributed,
multihoming it is a much more complex operation (assuming you want sessions
to survive a multihoming event). Perhaps if you speak to some people actually
implementing virtualized server pools this would be clearer to you.

   Brian

Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Brian;
>
> > But in practical terms it *does* matter whether we are talking about
> > multihoming affecting one physical interface, a set of interfaces on
> > one machine, a set of interfaces on a cluster of machines, or something
> > else.
>
> It does NOT matter.
>
> Physical interface is not a meaningful entity.
>
> As I and Iljitsch discussed, a cluster of machines virtually acting
> as a single host can be treated as a single host.
>
>                                                         Masataka Ohta

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

NEW ADDRESS <brc@zurich.ibm.com> PLEASE UPDATE ADDRESS BOOK