Line rate filtering

This is off topic from the well known attacks thread, but since we
headed off on this tangent anyway...

http://www.nwfusion.com/reviews/2003/0714rev.html

Basically, if a vendor makes it a design criteria that filtering
happen quickly and in hardware, it does.  If they try to make such
features available on a general purpose CPU, they fail.

It is merely a design decision.  As customers, we should be demanding
it of our vendors.  As a standards body, we should be requiring it of
our operators.  As vendors, we should be making it a design priority.

ericb