Re: More BCP: revenge of RS232 and CLIs

George, Don,

 Requirement. The device MUST support complete configuration and
management via an RS232 serial connection.

X.y.3 Software flow control?
Do we need to stipulate vt100/ansi/nansi terminal support?

I agree with Don that serial console access should be a 'MUST' statement. Perhaps statements about software flow control, adjustable baud rate, and ANSI terminal support can be 'SHOULD' statements?

Also, I think RS-232 was official revised to "EIA232E" in
1991.  The standard is available here:
http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/standards.html#anchor774516

BTW, if you refer to RS-232 serial connection as a MUST,
does that imply you have to include a reference to the
relevant standard?  I think it might.

Oops, low battery, gotta go...

...nz