RE: QoS attributes

Joel writes...

> This presume a very simple consortium model.

[DBN] Perhaps, but I do have a bias.  As a potential customer for
roaming access services, I like simple.  :-)

> At the very least I would
> expect hot spot operators to be planning to participate in multiple
> consortia, so as to offer service to the widest range of customers.
Those
> distinct consortia are not likely to have the same collections of QoS
> sets.

[DBN] I understand the apparent attractiveness of provisioning detailed
QoS parameters in AAA messages.  It means that all knowledge can be
centralized in a Home AAA Server.  There is only one place where the
operator has to go to twiddle the knobs, to define or re-define the
classes of service for QoS.  It also means that you don't have to deal
with other protocols for provisioning QoS definitions on your NASes,
such as CLI, SNMP or COPS.

[DBN] The problem with this vision is that it requires a level of
conformity in product offerings that is going to be very hard to
achieve, and it does not account for the end-to-end nature of QoS. It
does not indicate how the static AAA-provisioned QoS parameters interact
with the dynamic, negotiated QoS parameters. IMHO, this is like the
story of The Emperor's New Clothes.

-- Dave