From: john.loughney@nokia.com [mailto:john.loughney@nokia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 6:23 AM
To: Roy, Radhika R, ALABS
Cc: avi@bridgewatersystems.com; dnelson@enterasys.com;
radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: QoS attributes

Radhika,

> I think that COPS is a policy protocol, and policies related
> to QOS can also be used for distribution and enforcements.
> Similar may also be the case for security and accounting.

Agreed.

> However, DIAMETER/RADIUS is also used for authentication,
> authorization, and accounting (AAA).

Agreed.

> Here are the interesting points:
>
> 1. COPS for policies of authentication, authorization, and
> accounting including QOS.

OK.

> 2. DIAMETER/RADIUS for offering actual services for
> authentication, authorization, and accounting including QoS.

This I am not so sure of.  I've always thought that Diameter /
RADIUS can be used to authorize QoS services.  For example, if
I've subscribed to a service with Real-time QoS, Diameter could
be used to authorize my use of such a service.  If I request
a service that I am not allowed to, then the authorization would fail.

> In item 2, I am lacking clear wordings here.
>
> The question is this: Can we not develop standards
> complementing both COPS and DIAMETER/RADIUS as they are also
> a part of IETF standard protocols?

Taking a systematic view, I would think that AAA protocols can
do the authorization & accounting side of any QoS-aware services.
COPS can be used inside of the network to transport QoS
policies to the enforcement points, to ensure that QoS parameters
are not exceded.

John