Re: subtypes

Bernard Aboba wrote:
So, we can propose new extension with new attribute where we can join
large attribute values or propose new RADIUS behaviour for VSA with
VendorId=0

It's hard to see how VSAs can address the length issue since
all RADIUS attributes are defined in RFC 2865 to have a Length field of 8
bits.

However, this approach could allow for grouping and possibly attribute
extension since RFC 2865 does allow for grouping of attributes within a
VSA.

Some questions:

a) Would single-level grouping (e.g. no groups within groups) within a
VSA with vendorid = 0 address the issues?  Or do we need new data types or
even complex data types (with a datatype definition language)?

b) Since VSAs are ignorable by the RADIUS client, are all contemplated
"grouped" attributes optional?  How do we distinguish between mandatory
and optional attributes?

I think that we must use new attribute with format like VSA (26) and with special behavior for attribute asseble/disassemble.