RE: subtypes (was: HTTP digest and RADIUS; new version of the Stermandraft)

Avi Lior writes...

> Today if I have a string attribute that is longer than 253 octets
> -- I could extend it by putting the contents in back-to-back
> attributes.  This however is not a very reliable way of extending
> an attribute.

My understanding, from the context of early RADIUS WG discussions, is
that this is exactly what is intended.  The RFCs are less that crystal
clear on this issue, however.  The only RADIUS attributes that have
ordering requirements (e.g. in proxy handling) are those string types
that can contain a continuation of a string value from one attribute to
another.  The requirement to preserve order makes the re-assembly
possible.

As to reliability, I see no reason that this method is any more
unreliable than the underlying RADIUS transport mechanism.  It may be
slightly cumbersome, but I would not characterize it as unreliable.

-- Dave