RE: AW: backwards compatible introduction of NEW attribute such a s CU I

Bernard, Lothar,

I stated this in another email but I want to do it here as well.  I don't
think that CUI should be tied down to 3579.

I think business drivers should determine whether or not CUI is used.

Furthermore:

Barney's issue 22 raised the question "who needs the CUI?"  Barney later
answers this question  "it is the NAS owner which *requires* CUI presence"

Lothar "statead (and still maintain) my opinion  that it is the home server
operator who *requires* CUI presence."

I don't agree with Lothar at all. Barney is absolutely correct. In fact this
statement by Barney reflects the driver for CUI:

"the NAS owner only requires CUI if iPass won't do business without it.
That's not a technical requirement, or a logical requirement, but it is,
perhaps, a statement about the real world."

The home network doesn't need CUI. CUI provides the following capabilities:
-it allows correlation of mulitple access-request/access-accepts to the same
user.
-it allows correlation of accounting sessions to the same user.

The home network can do the above correlation without the need for CUI.
Since it knows the identity of the user it can correlate multiple
access-request to that user and thus can prevent multiple logons.

The home network can use class to correlate accounting information to the
same user.

In order for Proxies to perform the same operations they need CUI.  This is
what iPass requires to do business and other intermediaries.