Scope of applicability for CUI (was: RE: AW: backwards compatible introduction of NEW attribute such as CU I)

Avi Lior writes...

> I stated this in another email but I want to do it here as well.  I
don't
> think that CUI should be tied down to 3579.

CUI is only *needed* when User-Name doesn't serve the purpose.  What are
the use cases when User-Name isn't sufficient?  I think they are:

A) when the User-Name re-write feature (for accounting purposes)
obscures the original authentication identity, or

B) when the RADIUS authentication method is EAP, allowing for a "method
internal" user identity for authentication, and an "anonymous" or
"routing-only" value in User-Name.

These use cases are further restricted to multi-party (e.g. roaming
consortia) environments, because for deployments where the NAS and the
Home RADIUS server belong to a single administrative entity the Class
attribute has been seen to be sufficient.

Are there any other relevant use cases?