RE: AW: backwards compatible introduction of NEW attribute such a s CU I

Bernard,

> Assuming we can define what a RADIUS client and server need
> to do in order to support "privacy" then we can write an
> applicability statement for CUI that requires RFC 3579 and
> "privacy" support as a precondition for CUI support.

I strongly disagree.  CUI should not require RFC 3579 and "privcy" support.
There is no justification to formally do this. I would agree with this only
if you can demonstrate that CUI will not work if 3579 was not being used
etc....

Even the flip side does not hunt. That is requiring CUI when 3579 is being
used. CUI is not required when 3579 is being used.  Second, the horses are
out of the barn.

> The way I think of it, NASes can already claim compliance to
> RFC 3579 if they support EAP.  But we are talking about
> something above and beyond that -- RFC 3579 plus RFC 2486bis
> plus CUI.  So we can state that the CUI assumes support for
> RFC 2486bis and RFC 3579, and then place requirements on
> RADIUS servers that support all of that.

Absolutely not.  Use of CUI should remain generally optional. It is only
required when roaming partners determine that they need it.

We must not prevent the use of CUI when 3579 and 2486bis is not being used.

Avi.