Re: Simultaneous session limits and duplicate detection

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 02:46:34PM -0800, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Alper Yegin said:
> "RADIUS does not talk about 1, does not properly mandate 2a...
> If we decide to go with 2a, we need to fix RADIUS spec. Meanwhile, can we > assume all of the current RADIUS implementations are already supporting 2a,
> so that in the absence of 1 and 2b EAP works well?"
>
> [BA] Yes, I think we can assume this. Alan's proposed language will mandate
> 2a.

I hit this issue in testing couple of years ago when EAP-SIM tests
were failing if NAS re-transmitted the Access-Request quickly. In other
words, the RADIUS server was not doing duplicate detection.. Since then,
this particular implementation has added support for duplicate
detection, but I believe it can be disabled in configuration and there
has been discussion on some deployments doing that in order to avoid
issues with large number of requests (more than 256 per the duplicate
window of couple of seconds, i.e., more than the number of unique
Identifiers..).

The Issues & Fixes document Section 2.1.2 talks about how a combination of the EAP Identifier, source IP address and State attribute can be used to enable each EAP session to have its own unique Identifier space. If handled this way, there would not be a tradeoff between duplicate elimination and restrictions on the number of simultaneous sessions that can be handled.