RE: Filter-rules-01 & Issue 192

Hi Sanchez,

See my replies inline.. using [JiK] for my replies.

[JiK] Thanks.

> > >  o what is the purpose of the rule-delim in the
> > >    NAS-Traffic-Rule ABNF? As far as I interpreted the
> > >    ABNF there can be only one rule per attribute anyway?
> > >    I could be wrong ;)
> >
> > The first version of the syntax had no rule delimiter and people
> > commented that having a delimiter would eliminate any
> possibility for
> > ambiguity of rule end.
> >
> > [JiK] So if there can be only one rule per attribute I
> still don't see
> >       need for rule-delim. It does not add any value imho.
>
> [MS1]  There may actually be more than one rule per
> attribute. Another interesting case is when one rule is split
> across two attributes (due to length).  What if we added the
> following to in the description section?
> "A NAS-Traffic-Rule attribute may contain a partial rule, one
> rule, or more than one rule. Traffic rules may be contained
> across attribute boundaries, so implementations cannot assume
> that individual traffic rules begin or end on attribute boundaries."

[JiK] The proposed text is OK. Just wondering whether the ABNF is up to
date with the above text. I could be wrong but to me it appears the the
ABNF cannot support more than one rule per attribute.

> > >  o What's the intended use for the L2 filtering? I'd
> > >    like to see some real use case described here
> >
> > BPDU filtering is one real use case.
> >
> > [JiK] Right. Probably a sentence or two saying L2 filtering
> is needed
> >       e.g. for BPDU filtering in the intro or some appendix examples
> >       would be good..
>
> [MS1] Ok.  How about the following in the intro?
> "Layer 2 filters are useful in filtering BPDU traffic for
> which layer 3 filters have no effect."
>
> We may also consider adding BPDU to the terminology section.

[JiK] Thanks.. and I think it would be good to add the BPDU to the
terminology section.

And then one more nit. Aren't we supposed to use example.com for all
example domain names? Now there are goo.org etc ;)

Cheers,
	Jouni