Re: Proxies and retransmissions?

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Proxy retransmission is definitely a bad idea, since it violates the
> principle of "Conservation of Packts", and thus could lead to congestion
> problems. I don't have personal knowledge of proxy implementations that
> retransmit, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if such
> implementations existed.

  I've just been reviewing a proposal for a standardized RADIUS
fail-over and retransmit.  It involves N stages of proxies, each with
primary & secondary.  On NAS retransmit, each proxy is supposed to send
 packets to both the primary and secondary.  The document states that
there's obviously an exponential explosion in the number of packets, but
for small N, it's claimed to be OK.

  I don't agree.