RE: RFC3576bis and Session State

Alan DeKok <> allegedly scribbled on Monday, May 28, 2007 8:37 AM:

> Avi Lior wrote:
>>    I suggest we can request that they implement it now, *if* they
>> also support CoA or Disconnect request.
>>
>> [Avi] I strongly disagree.  Requiring that a RADIUS server that will
>> issue a COA or DM receive accounting messages is inappropriate.
>
>   Which is why I didn't suggest that the server receive accounting
> messages.  What I said was that it should receive a
> protocol-independent session identification key... sometimes called
> Acct-Session-Id.
>
>> [Avi] A session id for what? Accounting Session ID identifies a An
>> accounting session delineated by a Start Record and a Stop Record.
>> Including Acct-Session-Id in a DM or COA means you want to effect
>> that session that is being represented by that Accounting Session.
>> That session could be: 1) The entire session;
>> 2) An IP session;
>> 3) An IP flow;
>> 4) Something else that generates an Accounting Record.
>
>   If the the CoA client doesn't know what session it's trying to
> change, it shouldn't be sending a CoA request.

I think the point is that there may be multiple accounting sessions
(either serial or parallel) authorized by a single
Access-Request/-Reply, all with different session IDs and maybe even
members of different groups (so different Acct-Multi-Session-IDs, so
unless the RADIUS server receives _all_ the stop and stop records it
can't know about those.  Are we saying then, that _only_ the original
session may be affected by CoA?  If so, maybe it would be better to have
a session-ID specifically for that instead of overloading the
Acct-Session-ID attribute.

>   If it does know what session it's trying to change, it should
> inform the NAS that the *session* needs changing.  Using IP
> address/port/whatever as session identification keys is unacceptable.

So is using the accounting session ID, for the reasons outlined above.