Re: Comments on "practical deployments"

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Is this the Fixed Mobile Covergence Alliance?

  Yes.  I've been advising on the interconnect.

>> Yes. In fact, the use of EAP *prevents* a large number of business
>> models for network access.
>
> Could you expand on the problems?

  A customer wants to buy access.  Right now in WiFi hotspots, they
connect to a walled garden, and type in credit card details.  Once
payment has been processed, they obtain network access.

  If the only way to obtain network access is via EAP, then you have a
bootstrapping problem.  Once the users have signed up, everything is
great.  The users who *haven't* signed up are shut out.  Permanently.

  The issue is less EAP than EAPoL.  Without a real network connection,
it's impossible for a client machine to do much of anything.  EAP could
be used in a walled garden if PANA was widely deployed, for example.