RE: Questions on modified Extended Attribute format?

Glen Zorn wrote:
> I understand, & sympathize; I think that it's important to remember that a
> major reason that we ended up in the position of having multiple external
> SDOs defining their own mutually incompatible VSAs is that we (the IETF)
> refused to address RADIUS' problems in a useful and meaningful way.  We
have
> an opportunity now to ameliorate if not solve that problem; I don't think
> that we should pass it up.

  If we're going to re-design the attribute format from scratch again,
I'd like to know what we've accomplished in the past year.

[gwz] I don't know where the "from scratch" comes from; there is a format
defined in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-radext-extended-attributes-00
.txt.  I am suggesting adding a single octet to the format which A) would
considerably enlarge the new type space and B) _could_ be used to
standardize functionality that has been added to RADIUS over the years in an
ad hoc fashion.
[/gwz]

There were
proposals that were ugly, but solved almost all of the concerns that
were raised.  This includes the ability to group legacy RADIUS
attributes in a "new" format.

  The one show-stopper I see is putting standard RADIUS attributes into
a VSA.  If this has *zero* impact on implementations that don't
understand the new format, then it would be acceptable.  Otherwise, it's
an incompatible change to RADIUS.

[gwz]
Interesting definition of "incompatible".  If that is in fact the standard
to be met we may as well just fold up our tents and go home since there is
_no_ change that could be made which would have "*zero* impact on
implementations that don't understand".
[/gwz]

  If we can't put standard attributes into the new format, then we
should just pick a better format, and ideally one that's been deployed.
 The WiMAX format (plus grouping) seems to fit that definition fairly well.

[gwz]
Can you tell us what it looks like?
[/gwz]