Re: [RRG] Re: [RAM] Tunnelling & GigE jumbo frame size

On Sep 12, 2007, at 7:18 PM, David Meyer wrote:

	I have to agree with Dino on this one. What we are
	talking about here is engineering. And more than that,
	its engineering with a large constraint set (i.e., the
	Internet). But engineering is about tradeoffs (well, its
	part art, part economics, and part luck too). So as Dino
	says, other solutions are going to have different
	tradeoffs. Some worse (for sure), and possibly some
	better. But it is clear that all of the solutions on the
	table (and likely any other solution) have complex issues
	sets, so we need to look at the bigger picture (rather
	than focus on any one issue in isolation).

We design for the optimal case and hopefully with experience and data
from operators more networks move to the optimal case.

	Right, and experience and data are the fundemental
	compliments to both research and engineering.

I'll second Dave's comments.  Engineering is about tradeoffs.  Our
job is to clearly, honestly and openly asses those tradeoffs, to the
best of our abilities.  This assessment is not well served by
unrealistic positions pro or con, on this or any other issue.

Tony