Re: [RRG] Fwd: Tunnel MTU

Fred,

The UDP port concerned has to be open in the firewall, since the
echo process is playing the role of a server. That's probably
less awkward than getting ICCMP through, but it still means
convincing the corporate or campus security people to allow
the port. I'm sure they'd like to know how the DoS threat is
mitigated...

But, it would be the same UDP port opened for the tunnel itself,
i.e., the probing is in-band with ordinary tunneled data. Or,
maybe I'm still missing the point...

Slightly, maybe, because I'm interested in the *general* problem
of viable e2e PMTUD, regardless of tunnels. If we can solve the
general case, tunnels just become like any other link as far
as PMTUD is concerned.

   Brian