Re: [RRG] Migration to IPv6-only addresses

On 30.9.2007, at 11.25, Robin Whittle wrote:
In the foreseeable future - say ten years or more - I can't see how
anyone would pay for an Internet service which had only an IPv6
address.  (A likely exception is a cell-phone, which has highly
restricted communications abilities and in which the application
software is usually not chosen or provided by the user.)  It would
not be useful in general, since only a handful of protocols could be
supported via proxies to communicate with the rest of the Net which
uses IPv4.

(This seems like rehash of the discussion on some other IETF list this summer..)

I used to live in a country with semi-abundant IP addresses; on my (business-grade) ADSL I had 16 to my name just so my two servers at home could talk with outside world without NAT. When moving to Japan, I thought world would end for me as I decided to put up with home ADSL + NAT instead of business-grade one, for various reasons.

So what happened? I wound up punching one hole in the NAT, and I hardly noticed it. 5 out of 6 IPv4-using machines behind the NAT do not even have holes pointing their way.

The point? I'm willing to bet that if it's easier (for some reason) for ISP to NAT, and they happen to have more than 2^24 addresses (RFC1918) to deal with, for various reasons, they will go for IPv6 either with or without NATs as soon as about all of the clients are likely to support it. It will be in few years due to EOL of XP, so things will work out(?)

Despite the pure E2E principle or whatever being violated, I'd rather be behind IPv6-IPv4 NAT box and use pure IPv6 than enjoy the horrors of the dual stack; also, I'd want that magic box to prefer v4 over v6 connectivity due to the fact that v6 connectivity is not and will not be there for many, many years.. :p

What evades me is why the IETF hasn't standardized the magic box yet.

Cheers,

-Markus

P.S. You can sign me up for IPv6-only internet access as long as something approaching quality of the NAT I get from my current 20$ Linksys box is available for it; most of my home network hasn't had public IP in two years and I'm not losing sleep over it. And I think I have possibly one or two v4 apps hiding there, but I wouldn't lose sleep over them even now, not to even mention in ten years - it is a long time..