Re: [RRG] IPv4 shortage, new features and IPv6 inevitability

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch@muada.com>
To: "Tom Petch" <nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: "Routing Research Group list" <rrg@psg.com>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: [RRG] IPv4 shortage, new features and IPv6 inevitability

> It doesn't have to be dial-up... Broadband is even "worse" here.
>
> I download all the RIR allocation data a few times a week and put it
> in a database that's available through http://www.bgpexpert.com/addrspace.php

I should have known:-)

> If you look at India:
>
> RIR     Country   Addresses    Date
>
>                       0.18 M  2003
>                       2.36 M  2004
>                       1.04 M  2005
>                       2.23 M  2006
>                       5.60 M  2007
>
> That doesn't amount to much. I suspect that India may use space from
> American ISPs that doesn't show as "in", though. But China is going
> strong:
>
>                      12.16 M  2003
>                      18.69 M  2004
>                      14.01 M  2005
>                      23.66 M  2006
>                      36.06 M  2007
>
> The US seems to be over the hill, though (caveats apply due to ARIN's
> backdating practices):
>
>                      20.71 M  2003
>                      29.81 M  2004
>                      49.68 M  2005
>                      47.01 M  2006
>                      25.30 M  2007
>
> But not Europe (RIR = ripencc):
>
>                      29.58 M  2003
>                      47.63 M  2004
>                      58.09 M  2005
>                      56.43 M  2006
>                      60.77 M  2007

But I still wonder about the why, at a deeper level, of what use (dial-up,
broadband, enterprise, personal, VoIP, ... ) these are being put to, something
that someone who has worked in or closely with one of the ISPs making use of the
larger allocations might have an insight into.

As I said, knowing more would enable better estimates of exhaustion, and would
inform discussions about such as IPv6 migration strategies.

Tom Petch