Overlapping EID/RLOC spaces [Re: [RRG] Thoughts on the RRG/Routing Space Problem]

On 2007-12-02 22:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
<snip>

I don't understand how a solution could be incrementally deployable unless both the EID space and the RLOC space were distinct parts of our existing address space. They can't overlap as long as there's a single legacy site left, which means forever in practice.

Well, if the world looks anything like it does today, why can't you
simply insert a longer prefix in the appropriate table, to punch
a hole in EID space for the anomalous RLOC, or vice versa?

That might mean punching a hole in a map entry, as opposed to
punching a hole in a route as today. It may be undesirable, but
is it impossible?

    Brian