Re: [RRG] Thoughts on the RRG/Routing Space Problem

On 30 nov 2007, at 11:00, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Along your lines of a split, I like the idea of using 4000::/3 for LISP-mapped EIDs and deprecating PI space in 2000::/3. It's a bit tougher to apply the same split to v4 since there won't be any /8s left by the time a solution is standardized...

Hm, if that's true, does it make sense to even bother working on all of this for IPv4?

But you could use IPv6 for locator space even for IPv4 end-user PI space...

And reclaiming 240.0.0.0/4 for use as locator addresses within ISP networks seems possible for at least some values of "possible".

However, I disagree that it's necessary or even useful to make a syntactical distinction between existing PI space, the new type of PI space and locator space. Anything that's in the BGP tables is either existing PI space or locator space. Which of the two isn't terribly interesing. Anything that's not in the BGP tables is either unused or new PI space so it can safely be routed to an encapsulation device.