Re: [RRG] Convergence

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 03:26:44PM -0800, Tony Li wrote:

> Hi RRG,
>
> Over the last 9 months people have been working hard on exploring the
> design space for scalable routing architectures, and new proposals continue
> to appear over time.  However there is also a growing desire to produce a
> final recommendation.  The co-chairs would like to put forth the following
> proposed schedule as a strawman for discussion:
>
> - floor stays open for new innovative solutions
> - at the same time we encourage efforts on identifying fundamental
>   commonalities and differences among proposals, and design tradeoffs.
> - starting from March'08 we will drive the group effort towards convergence
> - we hope to reach a final recommendation by March '09.

	Folks,

	At the RRG meeting on Monday we talked a bit about
	this ("convergence"). IIRC, Tony mentioned the
	design-goals document (draft-irtf-rrg-design-goals-01.txt)
	as a source of evaluation criteria. My concern is that
	there is not enough detail in the draft to form the basis
	of a decision process (which ever one we use, which is
	another question).

	So my question is: Do folks feel that this document
	contains sufficient detail (at least to a first
	approximation) to make an informed decision, and if not,
	how do we plan to do to obtain that detail?

	Thnx,

	Dave