Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures

I don't believe the 80% number.

Fine.  Call me a liar.  No more donuts for you.

So we are not going anywhere. So let me ask this, if DNS resolvers need to have caches and browsers need to have caches, why shouldn't a mapping cache that could be as large as these other databases have a cache.

Hello...  that's not a related point.

DNS resolvers don't have a working set that's 80% of all possible domain names. Browsers don't have a working set that's 80% of all web pages.

A mapping cache is a fine and tractable object IF AND ONLY IF the working set at that location is tractable.

You guys that are not favoring caches can other favor full tables and that can't scale to 10^10.

So do you have a proposal?

I don't fall into "you guys" because a) I'm in favor of caches in some places and b) I'm against them in others. I haven't noticed that opinion expressed by anyone else yet. Yes, that's something of a proposal.

? You missed my point: you pick all, simultaneously. You let your particular working set characteristics in your particular location select which particular approach you use at that particular location. All of the choices need to be integrated so that they result in one clean mechanism.

We have already made that conclusion. You should have seen that at RRG.

No, what I saw was a total mess of mechanisms, with no coherency.

Upset,
Tony