Re: [RRG] Are host-stack modifications allowed or disallowed ?

On 2/20/08 10:16 AM, Randall Atkinson allegedly wrote:
> (off the top of my head; no doubt I've missed various things)
>
> A) Host changes
>
> - The number of hosts is much greater than the number of routers.
> - Decision matrix for deployment is potentially larger (more host OSs
>   than router OSs, so more implementers need to decide to change
>   things)
> + Feature can be deployed whether or not ISPs decide they want
>   to make changes.
> + The Internet potentially scales better because state in the core of
>   the network is reduced.
> + Moves the Internet back towards its traditional model ("smart host,
>   dumb network")
>
> B) Router changes
>
> + The number of backbone routers is much smaller than the number of
>   hosts.
> + Decision matrix is potentially much smaller (2 big core router
>   vendors plus 3-8 big ISPs)
> - Feature can't deploy unless the big ISPs agree
> - We still have a lot of state in the core of the network; we are
>   just handling and using that state a bit differently
> - Continues the current trend towards the new model ("dumb host,
>   smart network")

Nice start.  Let see if I can add anything ...

A) Host changes

- The system will need to be robust in the face of incorrect or
  malicious host changes.  There can be incorrect or malicious router
  changes but ISPs understand the risks and the defenses better than
  destination hosts would.

- The business model is difficult, because end system stack providers
  would not see an immediate benefit from implementing and pushing the
  changes.

Mumble ... Scott