Re: [RRG] How to Incrementally Deploy APT

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Dan Jen <jenster@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>  We have devised a plan for incremental
>  deployment that we would like you to consider.
>
>  Please hit us with any comments and questions.  We would love feedback
>  on how ridiculous or perfect you think our ideas are.

Hi Dan,

What is the smallest unit? An "APT network" of which one or more are
contained in an "APT island"?

How do I go about deploying exactly one APT network into an existing
BGP AS? What new equipment do I install? What do I attach the
equipment to? What external information do I feed into it and how do I
get that information? What does it feed into my routing table? What do
I remove from my routing table? If you need to make assumptions about
the architecture of my existing BGP AS in order to give a concrete
answer, please do so.

What benefit do I get from being the first APT network? Are there new
services I can sell to my customers? Do I save money by having
deployed apt? Why should I be the first?

What benefit do I get when my neighbor deploys an APT network and we
form an island of two APT networks? Are there new services I can sell
to my customers? Do I save money by having deployed apt?

A-(B-C-D)-E-F

B, C and D are APT networks in an APT island. A and E connect to the
island with classic BGP. E connects to F with classic BGP. A host in A
wants to talk to a host in F. How does that work? Is BGP in the island
carrying all of E's BGP over to A and vice versa?

Now A wants to talk to C. You've stated that BGP in the island does
not contain prefixes in the island's mapping table. How does A get C's
prefixes?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--