Re: [RRG] Mobility considerations in proposal evaluation

On Feb 26, 2008, at 9:02 AM, William Herrin wrote:

Out of curiosity, which part of the problem space do you think would
benefit the most from additional basic science before turning it over
to an engineering effort?

Bill,

I believe that there are significant chunks of the solution space outside of the pure routing architecture area that are worth exploring. The input that we've seen from Mark Handley suggests that we've been thinking very much inside of our box and that there are alternatives.

Even within the routing area, I don't believe that we've fully explored the solution space in either the mapping area or in the actual relaying mechanism.

On the relaying front today, we have encapsulation and translation. What else is there?

On the mapping area, we have push systems and pull systems. Both have substantial drawbacks. Are there better hybrids? Are there alternatives?

I'd certainly welcome convincing arguments that we've done a decent job in considering either of these solution spaces.

Tony