Re: [RRG] DNS Map: Mapping Resolution Combining Pull/Push Advantages

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Christian Vogt
<christian.vogt@nomadiclab.com> wrote:
>  > What I mean is that if you designed a pull-based mapping system in
>  > which response authentication was not tied up in the query hierarchy
>  > then your prefetching during the name lookup could work as you
>  > envision. DNS is NOT such a system.
>
>  Right.  Do you agree that, with the modifications discussed above,
>  DNS Map would work?

Hi Christian,

Probably, yes. But why would you want to take this approach?

I chose DNS as the mapping system for TRRP because it allows me to
start deploying without having to first deploy map-server software.
Given a choice between a new DNS record type (which requires a
redeployment of updated DNS software before the rest of your system
can be deployed) or building an entirely new map protocol, I think I
would have chosen the latter. Now that I've been exposed to your
prefetch idea, I'm sure of it.

I don't think being able to start the map pull when the hostname
lookup starts outweighs the advantage of an already-deployed map
server system but it surely outweighs the advantage of merely having
most of the software already built.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote:
>  Should you do so, remember that RFC 2782 already specifies such a
>  mechanism so it could be a better idea to build on it, specially since
>  it is already implemented in resolvers (for instance the RULI
>  library).

Hi Stephane,

Using SRV records might introduce an additional lookup delay that I'm
sure Christian would like to avoid. SRV does, however, provide an
excellent model for setting priorities on response records.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin@dirtside.com  bill@herrin.us