RE: [RRG] re: Some concern about the flat label as identifier

Earlier, Xu XiaoHu wrote:
% I don't think DNS is an optimal option since this approach
% requires every host should have a FQDN name.

In practice, hosts already should have a FQDN name,
so there would be no change from the existing deployed
Internet if one continued to rely on DNS.

As I think I commented earlier, nearly all current users are entirely
unable to distinguish "DNS fault" from "network down".  I learned
this in the late 1990s at a large multi-continent residential
broadband ISP.  I am told by ISP folks that it is even more true
today than it was back then.

One could imagine that some future Internet would remove
the reliance upon DNS entirely.  Perhaps that is what you
were contemplating ?  If so, please do explain in more
detail. :-)

Cheers,

Ran