Re: [RRG] Consensus check: mapping granularity

Robin,

I understand from what you wrote:

For scalability reasons, I would propose to define this requirement as
follows :

The identifier to locator mapping function MUST support mapping entries
for aggregates of identifiers. It MAY also support mapping entries for
host identifiers.

My reasoning is that to be scalable, a mapping system must deal with
aggregates. However, some devices, perhaps for some destinations may
request or agree to receive map entries for host identifiers. Mapping
individual host identifiers is clearly not scalable and should only be
an option while the default should be to map aggregates.

I don't understand what the problem is with having one, many, or
most EID prefixes (LISP) or micronets (Ivip) being a single IPv4
address.

The problem is that if the mapping system is required to map each host identifier onto a (set of) locators, then I don't see how one can build a stable and scalable mapping system.

Olivier
--
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium