RE: [RRG] RRG process clarification

Hi Scott,

|> 	- Map-n-encap
|> 	- Translation
|> 	- Transport
|
|I would go with this conceptual framework, but not call it "transport",
|since that can be confusing.  The point is that the solution is in the
|endpoints (i.e. transport layer) not in the network.  Perhaps just say
|"endpoint-based".

Well, that's one perspective.  My issue with that is that there are
solutions (e.g., SHIM6) that are endpoint-based but not in the transport.
My perspective is that where a function is located physically is less
signficant architecturally than where it fits in amongst the various
subsystems.  So, for example, I consider SHIM6 to be a translation technique
in the network layer and the fact that it happens in the end-host is an
engineering nuance.  In your division it would seem to be ambiguously split
because it is both a translation technique and endpoint-based.

Put another way, I think that this results in basis vectors that aren't
orthogonal.

Tony