Re: "Doing It Right" (was Re: [RRG] Consensus? IPv4 scaling problem ...)

> Further, as evidenced by the lack of any significant
> deployment after a dozen years, it can be argued that IPv6
> has been a clear market failure.

It depends. E.g. I have heard many times from not one ISP technology strategists in NA: "we have enough v4 addresses, why bother with v6". This argument may no longer apply in a few years.

In terms of the scalable architecture what seems to hinder development is the rigidity embedded in 32- and 128-bit "address". IMO until the link between a name and a locator is broken entirely that seems to remain a swamp point.

E.g. a new name space is offered as a universal standard to use by all (SDO, governments, communities, markets, etc). Does anyone see a value in having it? Should it apply to networkable devices only? Is it beyond the scope of RRG?

Thanks,

Peter