Re: [RRG] Moving forward... IPv4 now, IPv6 less urgent and perhaps more ambitious

Hi everyone,

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 14:42 +1000, Robin Whittle wrote:
> OK.  Based on recent messages of support for Tony's text, I am
> surprised by how many people seem to think we don't need to solve
> the IPv4 problem.
>
> Where are the LISP and APT developers on this question?

Here are thoughts from the APT team on this issue.

Though we feel that the RRG should recommend a solution which is
practical and deployable today, certainly it must also be a suitably
long-term, generic solution -- even as we move beyond IPv6 to IPv7, 8,
and so on. With that in mind, we recommend the following:

"Our recommended solution should be address-format agnostic. That is, it
should be able to work with any reasonable addressing scheme. IPv4 and
IPv6 are examples of such addressing schemes."

-Dan and Michael