Re: [RRG] Moving forward... IPv4 now, IPv6 less urgent and perhaps more ambitious

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:41 AM, David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:07 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> The identified problem is:
>
>> find a way to drastically reduce the $8000/year cost of each IPv4
>> prefix in the core.
>
> I'd be curious as to how you derived this number.

Hi David,

http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html

The source numbers change with time. Feel free to plug any realistic
source numbers into the formula that you please. The end result will
have the same impact: the cost is nontrivial.

If you want to challenge the methodology, I respectfully ask that you
find someone who does cost analysis for a living to assist you with
the particulars. I had a professional cost analyst review and validate
it. Same guy who got the V22 Osprey canceled before Congress put it
back.

>> Shifting focus to IPv6 abandons the problem.
>
> Not really, since generally IPv6 routes and IPv4 routes are combined when
> computing routing load.

If we do nothing, by what date do you expect IPv6 to exceed even 2% of
the total routing load?

I stand by my statement.

Regards,
Bill Herrin