Re: [RRG] IPv4/6/ngng or IPv4-map-encap then IPngng

Vince Fuller wrote:
I don't really want to wade into this debate but I want to set the record
straight on one point:

That was my way of improving LISP, to create the beginnings of my
Ivip proposal, on 2007-06-15:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ram/current/msg01518.html

Before that LISP had no way of being introduced with multihoming of
communications from non-upgraded networks.  (Late last year LISP
became able to do this, by adopting Proxy Tunnel Routers which do
the same job as my poorly named "anycast ITRs in the core" - now
"Open ITRs in the DFZ".)

Not correct. The first documentation of what was later fleshed-out as LISP+ALT
and LISP PTRs (proxy tunnel routers) occurred on a Cisco-internal mailing
list in April, 2007. This discussion was later opened to the RAM list in
June, 2007 (see attached email message, which includes both references).
The terminology has changed somewhat since these discussions by the basic
ideas remain the same.

The concepts originated during a lunch conversation at IETF-67 in November,
2006 but were not written down or propagated beyond the LISP co-authoers
until much later.

Actually, I know of at least one earlier appearance of this concept: it was the central idea behind a 2005 SIGCOMM paper by Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker, and Steven McCanne. Here is the link:

http://sigcomm.org/sigcomm2005/paper-RatShe.pdf

-Michael