Re: [RRG] Re: Should the identifier be used as local locator

    > From: Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@nomadiclab.com>

    > borrowing also saves the managing and securing of a mapping between the
    > lower-layer ID and the upper-layer ID.

Yes, but it also makes the whole thing less flexible and more brittle (as we
have found, to our cost), by removing that extra layer of binding
(indirection). Remember Lampson's famous dictum about 'most problems in
computer science can be solved with another level of indirection'.

In addition, it means having one entity (the transport layer) know about the
internal data of another entity (the internetworking layer), which is another
thing that is frowned on today (most programming languages now try to hide
internal data).

TANSTAAFL.

	Noel