Re: [RRG] Should the identifier be used as local locator

Yes, but it also makes the whole thing less flexible and more brittle
(as we have found, to our cost), by removing that extra layer of
binding (indirection). Remember Lampson's famous dictum about 'most
problems in computer science can be solved with another level of
indirection'.

But doesn't the dictum continue:  "...but usually this will create
another problem?"  ;-)

Anyway, I completely agree with you that the advantages of having
an ID/locator indirection more than outweigh the costs.

- Christian