Re: [RRG] Should the identifier be used as local locator

Earlier, Christian Vogt wrote:
% you are absolutely right.  A multi-homed host would
% get multiple "host IDs", if we re-used the MAC address
% as a host ID.  This is one of the disadvantages of such re-use.

The above assumption is not necessarily the case.

For example, one easily could permit a MAC-derived
Identifier [ ID := f(any MAC on the node)] to be
a "Node Identifier" that would be interface independent.

Ran,

in this case, you are not re-using the MAC address as a node ID; you
are generating a new node ID.  The purpose of the MAC address being
part of the function is simply to make this node ID globally unique.

So what you are proposing above is similar to what happens today in
Stateless Address Autoconfiguration:  an IP address is built based on
a MAC address.  What Louise and I were talking about is similar to
what happens today between TCP and IP:  TCP re-uses IP addresses as
node IDs.

- Christian