RE: [RRG] Abstraction of problem space

Hi Brian,

|And, specifically, an entity's apparent role needs to be able to be
|ambiguous, simultaneously being at more than one level in the food
|chain, and simultaneously having more than one "profile".
|Especially when considered over a non-trivial period of time, i.e. the
|lifetime of the entity.  (By "entity" we can mean anything with a
|routing policy, be it an ASN, ISP, site, host, or whatever.)
|
|I fear that too many ideas being discussed, even in relatively
|abstract
|terms, don't take this into consideration, or are optimized for
|instantaneous state ("snapshot").

I guess I'm not understanding your concern sufficiently.  An entity that
changes its role in a locator/identifer split architecture is able to change
its addressing at least as easily as it does today.

Can you please be more specific?

|BTW - the ability to take a piece of IPv4 PA space, and start
|announcing
|it as if it were PI space, is an example of the kind of thing
|that needs
|to be supported.

In a locator/identifier architecture, you only advertise locators into
routing.  Whether you are an end site or a ISP is irrelevant.  There's no
need for the distinction between PA and PI, and frankly, the PI mode should
simply be eliminated to maximize aggregation.

|Changing the role of a "piece" of the Internet, without renumbering.

Without renumbering seems like an unnecessary and contradictory requirement.
One of the role changes that you might want to support is the migration from
having addresses within an upstream prefix to having a global, unaggregated
prefix.  Any such change is going to require renumbering *if you want to
maintain aggregation*.  Building in mechanisms that explicitly support
deaggregation is simply shooting ourselves in the foot.

Tony