Re: [RRG] Opportunistic Topological Aggregation in the RIB->FIB Calculation?

On 25 jul 2008, at 4:11, Robin Whittle wrote:

So I am not sure that adding CPUs would be any better than the Linux
server situation of 2 or so fast CPUs with caches with a common
DRAM.  I am not sure how suitable the BGP implementation would be to
100 CPUs each with their own DRAM and some kind of communications
link between them.  That sounds even messier.

If each CPU gets only its own part of the table, it doesn't have to talk to the other CPUs that handle other parts of the table at all; the only thing it needs is a way to update the FIB for that part of the table.

Of course this is much harder to do that a single CPU implementation, but once again: you don't want to optimize for stuff that happens on human timescales (programming) at the expense of what happens at FIB or even RIB processing timescales.