Re: [RRG] Providers and providers

On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 20 aug 2008, at 12:43, RJ Atkinson wrote:

Large corporations that have large networks are ISPs.
They might be ISPs with themselves as the only customer,
but they are effectively the same as an ISP.

Right.

So this isn't a problem. If the average fortune 500 company has 500 offices in different locations and aggregates those 500 offices into a single PA prefix, we end up with 500 prefixes in the routing table. The trouble start when they don't act as an ISP and have each office connect to the internet independently - but they still want portable address space. In that case, we end up with 250k prefixes in the routing table.

I don't get this math. I know of enterprises with N offices that have N address blocks, but the number of prefixes grows as order (N) not order (N^2). Where does the order (N^2) come from ?

Regards
Marshall

But the bigger problem is what happens with smaller organizations. If a fortune 500 company can get X prefixes (where X = 1 or X = number of offices) then why wouldn't a smaller company be entitled to the same (relative) number of prefixes?

We used to have the requirement that you'd number 200 end-users out of your prefix to be able to get an IPv6 address block, but that was seen as unworkable for a large number of reasons, some of them even valid.